I decided to try the Shadow Lounge open mic just doin' a little solo piano thing. It went pretty decent. Did some "take five", "ruby, my dear", the zelda theme, and "blue february". Kinda shaky at first — and their piano there isn't really all that great anyway — but I warmed up pretty quick. Don't worry,
iole200, I am of course not giving up on us doing the duet thing there eventually as planned, whenever we are both up to it. :) Definitely need to bring my keyboard whenever I go back.
Mostly got the slides done for the talk.
Also skimmed through Nisan and Schocken's "The Elements of Computing Systems" at the recommendation of
lincoln3. I think it would be a neat book to base an undergrad systems class around, but I know too much already to really enjoy it. The idea is that they show how to build a plausible complete computer all the way from logic gates up through flip-flops, a simple ALU, an assembler, etc. up to a single-process "OS" written in essentially C with funny Java syntax, which is a thin but slightly nontrivial shim between hardware and the "application software", such as it is. I mean, at least it's got a keyboard and video driver, and they can implement Pong and a few other games.
Forgot to mention seeing "Rabbit-Proof Fence" with the generalists last night, which was very interesting. It's a telling of the true story of three half-australian-aborigine-half-white girls that escaped from a school/concentration-camp back to their families from which they were forcibly removed, walking across hundreds of miles of australian wilderness.
Mostly got the slides done for the talk.
Also skimmed through Nisan and Schocken's "The Elements of Computing Systems" at the recommendation of
Forgot to mention seeing "Rabbit-Proof Fence" with the generalists last night, which was very interesting. It's a telling of the true story of three half-australian-aborigine-half-white girls that escaped from a school/concentration-camp back to their families from which they were forcibly removed, walking across hundreds of miles of australian wilderness.