Have you ever heard of the game "robotfindskitten"? If not, you should first read about it, ideally even play it a little while.
Imagine, if you will, a variant of robotfindskitten, where:
- The playing field is infinite
- The characters on the playing field appear and disappear unpredictably
- There may be multiple or zero kittens
- Sometimes even after a character has revealed itself as an NKI, that character will, at a future date, instead be kitten
- Sometimes characters, when probed, complain testily about how all robots are just looking for kitten
- Or, conversely, aver that robot claims to be looking for kitten, but doesn't seem to be making enough effort, you know?
Imagine playing this game.
I ask you: is it any wonder why dating is, at times, bewildering and frustrating? I think patience and — as much as possible — calm acceptance of how bizarre the game is are to be recommended.